Monday 18 January 2016

Cartohoops!

Maps are, to me, a work of art. My favourite art has always been that mid 20th Century genre of simple, clear-lined landscapes. I love a good lino print and admire the work of artists such as Ravilious and Bawden. I don’t think it is a huge step from their work to that of the OS cartographer. I can visualise the landscape marked out in the intermingling of a railway line and a river. I could stand and stare at a map for much longer than I could a painting.

So, I have little pieces of map artwork about my home. Here are a couple of examples of what I call my Cartohoops.  I have put a circle of cloth bound map into an embroidery hoop (not as easy as it sounds!) and used a needle and thread to just augment them a little and make them mine. 



For the first, I used embroidery thread to pick out some of the features. This shows a place where some of my ancestors came from so it is part of my family album collection.



For the second, I had a bit of fun trying out a piece of artwork aimed at pleasing the keen cyclist, by using buttons as cycle wheels and embroidery thread as the bike frame. A design I picked up on Pinterest.


Have a play and see what makes you smile!

Both of these pictures are from my Instagram account - @Sarahmillerwalters

No comments:

Post a Comment