Wednesday 10 February 2016

Vintage Map Notebook

Back in the early 1990s when I was a student, Woolworths sold some stationery made from defunct Ordnance Survey maps.  As you can imagine, I was all over it.  Many of my contemporaries went on drink and cannabis binges.  I went on a map stationery one. There were notebooks, writing pads, notelets…oooh allsorts. I was bereft when they stopped selling it.  All I have left now is a hardbacked A5 notebook, which I use as my travel journal. Since about 1993 I have been recording every new place that I have visited and making a brief comment, fancying myself as Pevsner or Betjeman. Since I had children the entries have dwindled considerably, but it is still there in its own little place on the shelf, awaiting a rosy future where I throw off the shackles of working motherhood.

But I look at this very apt map-covered travel journal and I want more notebooks like this. When you’re having a think about what to write next, you can go on a little journey just by closing the book up. You might see a place name that inspires you.  I searched ebay, hoping that someone would have conveniently bought a stash of this stationery and never used it. I was out of luck.  The only thing left to do was make my own.


So, I bought a softbacked exercise book – the sort they give you at school, which cost me about 75 pence.  Then I covered it with a paper map, sticking the edges down with good strong glue.  It was just like being back at comprehensive when we had to cover our books with old wallpaper. It’s not quite the same as that old Woolworths one that I have, but it’ll do. And it's cheaper than those fancy notebooks that they sell in Paperchase, which I'm not the slightest bit in love with, oh no.




No comments:

Post a Comment