Thursday 3 December 2015

Vintage Map Necklace

I had the idea of combining my love of books and maps in jewellery.  My first attempt, using a paper map, didn’t work so well.  The theme was the Mitford Sisters, and I cut out the area around their childhood home at Swinbrook in the Cotswolds. Unfortunately, there being high ground around here, a lot of colours were used in the printing of the map and they smudged when I applied the glue.



My next attempt was an Agatha Christie themed necklace, featuring her home in the Dart Valley.  The map used was a 1940s cloth bound OS map of Devon, and as you can see, this worked well.  This necklace soon sold in my Etsy shop, SewsAttic.

I have another still for sale, made using an area of Dartmoor.  Hound Tor doesn’t strictly have any literary associations as far as I know (I’d love to be corrected if I’m wrong!)  However, it makes me think of the ‘Hound of the Baskervilles’.




The necklaces are so easy to make.  I got a kit from ebay, consisting of a silver chain, pendent holder and glass dome.  Simply glue your map into the pendent holder, then when this is totally dry, glue to glass dome onto the top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment